A Digital World: Youth, Technology, Social Media, Drugs, & Mental Health
Shape the Sky offers custom training sessions for your organization. The goal of our custom training session is to shape your understanding of why we must raise children differently in the digital world. We’ll identify the categories of social networking that adults should be aware of.
All training sessions are led by licensed and nationally certified counselor and founder of Shape the Sky, Ryan Klingensmith.
"Kids have the knowledge to use the technology, but sometimes lack the wisdom to use it. Adults have the wisdom to use the technology, but sometimes lack the knowledge to use it. My goal is to connect knowledge with wisdom.” -Founder Ryan Klingensmith
In this training, we’re connecting knowledge with wisdom. Adults have the wisdom to be responsible online, but they may not be aware of the latest social media trends and the negative effects of social media. We’ll provide you with the most up-to-date information based on your organization’s needs, so you know what to look out for and how to ensure children are using smartphones responsibly.
Note: this training doesn’t fulfill NBCC Credit Hours.
- Learning goals can be created specifically for your need within Ryan's expertise and knowledge base. Some of the topics are listed here.
- Participants will be able to identify how youth explore and share information about mental health through technology and social media.
- Participants will learn what resources are available when discussing mental health in a digital age.
- Participants will learn how to set smartphone expectations and understand when to monitor a device.
- Participants will understand social media trends and how they could negatively impact mental health.
- Participants will learn how to use Shape the Sky tools to create healthy and safe social media behaviors and practices.
- Participants will understand how growing up has changed.
Depending on your organization and your request, the presentation could cover:
- How being an adult has changed as a result of the smartphone
- Understanding current youth culture
- Youth exposure to sexualized content via popular social media apps
- Cyberbullying resources
- Sexualized content on apps popular with elementary aged youth
- “Parasite” websites
- Common mistakes online
- Sharing private information & identity theft
- Internet “challenges”
- Mental health concerns such as eating disorders, self-harm, & suicide
- Suicide prevention resources
- Untraceable texting
- How to start the conversation
- Prevention steps
- Using a Technology Contract
- Taking a social media pledge
- How to set expectations
- When to monitor a device
- Access to online resources
- Creating digitally responsible youth
Learn More About Ryan & Shape The Sky
Shape the Sky’s Founder, Ryan Klingensmith, is a parent and licensed counselor who works regularly with K-12 kids. Through his work, he gains first-hand experience of how social media can impact kids’ and teenagers’ mental health. His expertise and experience allow Shape the Sky to provide relevant, reliable information.
Questions? We're Here To Help.
Do you have questions about scheduling a custom training? If so, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re readily available to answer any questions.