Law Enforcement in a Digital World: Youth, Technology, Social Media, Drugs, Sexual Exploitation, & Mental Health
This training is designed for law enforcement and led by licensed and nationally certified counselor and founder of Shape the Sky, Ryan Klingensmith. The goal of this presentation is to help law enforcement educate children and provide guidance to them about creating a responsible image on social media and the internet.
In this full day training, we’ll identify categories of social networking that law enforcement should be aware of and looking for in youth.
Law enforcement is different today than it was years ago. One reason is because youth are immersed in social media and the internet.
Social media can be useful, but it can also expose youth to concerning content, risky behaviors, access to illegal content, or cyberbullying. In this training session, we’ll provide you with the most up-to-date information regarding the current digital climate, so you know what to look for and how to ensure youth are using smartphones responsibly.
Note: this training doesn’t fulfill NBCC Credit Hours.
- Participants will be able to identify how children explore and share information about mental health through technology and social media.
- Participants will learn what resources are available when discussing mental health in a digital age.
- Participants will understand how law enforcement has changed.
- Participants will learn about red flags for illegal online purchases
- Participants will learn how youth can access the Dark Web
- Participants will learn how youth can create Deepfakes and Deepnudes
- Participants will understand social media trends and apps, and how they could negatively impact mental health.
- Participants will learn how to use Shape the Sky resources and tools to create healthy and safe social media behaviors and practices.
- Participants will learn about the resources available for mental health concerns and suicide prevention.
- How the world has changed for law enforcement
- Being a digital law enforcement professional
- Why kids don’t talk to adults about technology
- Understanding current youth culture
- Deep Web vs. Dark Web
- Accessing the Dark Web through apps and web browsers
- Understanding Deepfakes, Deepnudes and Deepporn
- Revenge Porn
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN’s) and Proxy Servers
- Online grooming
- Age restrictions
- Cyberbullying resources
- Fake text messages
- “Parasite” websites
- Terms, images & language related to “parasite websites”
- Trolls & behaviors
- “Gore” & death sites then and now
- Common mistakes
- Sharing private information & identity theft
- Hidden photo vaults
- Social media and drugs
- Digital Currency
- Internet “challenges”
- Random Chat Websites
- Mental health concerns such as eating disorders, self-harm and suicide
- Suicide prevention resources
- Digital Dating & Abuse
- Untraceable texting
- "Anonymous” apps
- How to start the conversation
- Prevention steps
- Monitoring services
- Using a Technology Contract
- Taking a social media pledge
- How to set expectations
- Access to online resources
Learn More About Ryan & Shape The Sky
Shape the Sky’s Founder, Ryan Klingensmith, is a parent and licensed counselor who works regularly with K-12 kids. Through his work, he gains first-hand experience of how social media can impact kids’ and teenagers’ mental health. His expertise and experience allow Shape the Sky to provide relevant, reliable information.
Questions? We're Here To Help.
Do you have questions about our law enforcement training or other Shape the Sky training sessions? If so, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re readily available to answer any questions.