Parenting in a Digital World: Youth, Technology, Social Media, Sex, & Mental Health
Shape the Sky’s Parent Training is designed for parents and led by licensed and nationally certified counselor and founder of Shape the Sky, Ryan Klingensmith. The goal of this presentation is to help parents educate their children about creating a responsible image on social media and the internet.
In this training, we’ll identify the categories of social networking that parents should be aware of and look for in youth.
"Kids have the knowledge to use the technology, but sometimes lack the wisdom to use it. Adults have the wisdom to use the technology, but sometimes lack the knowledge to use it. My goal is to connect knowledge with wisdom.” -Founder Ryan Klingensmith
In this training, we’re connecting knowledge with wisdom. Parents have the wisdom and experience to be responsible online, but they may not be aware of the latest social media trends and the negative effects of social media. We’ll provide you with the most up-to-date information regarding the current digital climate, so you know what to look for and how to ensure your children are using smartphones and devices responsibly.
Note: this training doesn’t fulfill NBCC Credit Hours.
- Participants will be able to identify how children explore and share information about mental health through technology and social media.
- Participants will learn what resources are available when discussing mental health in a digital age.
- Participants will learn how to set smartphone expectations and understand when to monitor a child’s device.
- Participants will understand how parenting youth has changed.
- Participants will understand social media trends and apps, and how they could negatively impact mental health.
- Participants will learn how youth can be exposed to highly sexualized content on apps popular with elementary aged youth.
- Participants will learn how to use Shape the Sky tools to create healthy and safe social media behaviors and practices.
- How parenting youth has changed
- Why kids don’t talk to adults about technology
- Understanding current youth culture
- Accessing the Dark Web through apps and web browsers
- Age restrictions
- Cyberbullying resources
- Fake text messages
- “Parasite” websites
- Common mistakes
- Sharing private information & identity theft
- Hidden photo vaults
- Social media and drugs
- Mental health concerns such as eating disorders, self-harm and suicide
- Suicide prevention resources
- Digital Dating & Abuse
- Untraceable texting
- “Anonymous” apps
- How to start the conversation
- Prevention steps
- Monitoring services
- Using a Technology Contract
- Taking a social media pledge
- How to set expectations
- Access to online resources
Learn More About Ryan & Shape The Sky
Shape the Sky’s Founder, Ryan Klingensmith, is a parent and licensed counselor who works regularly with K-12 kids. Through his work, he gains first-hand experience of how social media can impact kids’ and teenagers’ mental health. His expertise and experience allow Shape the Sky to provide relevant, reliable information.
Questions? We're Here To Help.
Do you have questions about our parent training or other Shape the Sky training sessions. If so, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re readily available to answer any questions.