Working With Youth In A Digital World: Youth, Technology, Social Media, And Mental Health
This is a full-day training designed for professionals that work with children and led by licensed and nationally certified counselor and founder of Shape the Sky, Ryan Klingensmith. The goal of this presentation is to help professionals educate children and provide guidance to them about creating a responsible image on social media.
We’ll identify categories of social networking that professionals should be aware of and looking for in youth.
Life for youth is different now than it was years ago. That’s because teens, tweens, and children have unlimited access to information, apps, and websites. The internet can be helpful, but it can also expose youth to concerning content and behaviors that could affect their mental health.
This is where Shape the Sky comes into play; we’re dedicated to creating responsible children on smartphones. We provide professionals with updated information about the internet and social media so they can provide up-to-date services in the current digital climate.
Note: this training doesn’t fulfill NBCC Credit Hours.
- Participants will be able to identify how children explore and share information about mental health through technology and social media.
- Participants will learn about how working with youth has changed.
- Participants will learn about the potential dangers of social media, the internet, and apps.
- Participants will learn how to use Shape the Sky resources and tools to create healthy and safe social media behaviors and practices.
- Participants will learn how youth can be exposed to sexualized content on apps popular with elementary aged youth.
- Participants will learn about the resources available for mental health concerns and suicide prevention.
- Participants will have a full day to learn in detail and explore on their own various aspects of social media popular with youth.
- How the world has changed working with youth
- Being a digital professional with youth
- Why kids don’t talk to adults about technology
- Understanding current youth culture
- Deep Web vs. Dark Web
- Accessing the Dark Web through apps and web browsers
- Understanding Deepfakes, Deepnudes, and Deepporns
- Revenge Porn
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN’s) and Proxy Servers
- Image blogs
- Online grooming
- Age restrictions
- Cyberbullying resources
- Fake text messages
- “Parasite” websites
- Terms, images & language related to “parasite websites”
- Trolls & behaviors
- “Gore” & death sites then and now
- Common mistakes
- Sharing private information & identity theft
- Hidden photo vaults
- Social media and drugs
- Digital Currency
- Internet “challenges”
- Random Chat Websites
- Mental health concerns such as eating disorders, self-harm and suicide
- Suicide prevention resources
- 13 Reasons Why Netflix series
- Digital Dating & Abuse
- Untraceable texting
- "Anonymous” apps
- How to start the conversation
- Prevention steps
- Monitoring services
- Using a Technology Contract
- Taking a social media pledge
- How to set expectations
- When to monitor a device
- Access to online resources
Learn More About Ryan & Shape The Sky
Shape the Sky’s Founder, Ryan Klingensmith, is a parent and licensed counselor who works regularly with K-12 kids. Through his work, he gains first-hand experience of how social media can impact kids’ and teenagers’ mental health. His expertise and experience allow Shape the Sky to provide relevant, reliable information.
Questions? We're Here To Help.
Do you have questions about our professional training or other Shape the Sky training sessions. If so, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re readily available to answer any questions.