Teaching in a Digital World: Youth, Technology, Social Media, Drugs, & Mental Health
This training is designed for teachers and led by licensed and nationally certified counselor and founder of Shape the Sky, Ryan Klingensmith. The goal of this presentation is to help teachers educate and provide guidance to children about creating a responsible image on social media.
We’ll identify the categories of social networking that educators should be aware of and looking for in youth.
Life for youth is different now than it was years ago. That’s because teens, tweens, and children have unlimited access to information, apps, and websites. The internet can be helpful, but it can also expose youth to concerning content and behaviors that could affect their mental health.
This is where Shape the Sky comes into play; we’re dedicated to creating responsible children on smartphones. We provide teachers with updated information about the internet and social media so they can ensure students are using smartphones responsibly.
We can adapt this training to you timeframe.
Note: this training doesn’t fulfill NBCC Credit Hours.
- Participants will be able to identify how students explore and share information about mental health through technology and social media.
- Participants will learn about how teaching and working with students has changed.
- Participants will learn about how youth can be exposed to sexualized content on apps popular with elementary aged students.
- Participants will learn the tools they need to have in order to have educated discussions with their students and parents around social media and technology.
- Participants will learn about the potential dangers of risky behaviors on social media, the internet, and apps.
- Participants will learn how to use Shape the Sky tools to influence healthy and safe social media behaviors and practices.
- Participants will learn about the resources available for mental health concerns and suicide prevention.
- Participants will learn why students don’t talk to parents about technology. They will learn how to support students.
- How teaching youth has changed
- Why kids don’t talk to adults about technology
- Understanding current youth culture
- Accessing the Dark Web through apps and web browsers
- Online grooming
- Age restrictions
- Cyberbullying resources
- Fake text messages
- “Parasite” websites
- Common mistakes
- Sharing private information & identity theft
- Hidden photo vaults
- Social media and drugs
- Internet “challenges”
- Mental health concerns such as eating disorders, self-harm and suicide
- Suicide prevention resources
- Digital Dating & Abuse
- Untraceable texting
- “Anonymous” apps
- How to start the conversation
- Prevention steps
- Monitoring services
- Using a Technology Contract
- Taking a social media pledge
- How to set expectations
- Access to online resources
Learn More About Ryan & Shape The Sky
Shape the Sky’s Founder, Ryan Klingensmith, is a parent and licensed counselor who works regularly with K-12 kids. Through his work, he gains first-hand experience of how social media can impact kids’ and teenagers’ mental health. His expertise and experience allow Shape the Sky to provide relevant, reliable information.
Questions? We're Here To Help.
Do you have questions about our teacher training or other Shape the Sky training sessions. If so, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re readily available to answer any questions.